Hat is finally completed. In the previous post, the hat wasn’t fully completed. I had many tails to weave in as well as I had to sew on the button and make a button hole. However, the hat is finally completed! Thanks to everyone who has viewed my blog. It’s amazing how a simple hat can actually build up traffic, but then again I did post this to various websites. ^__~
I’ll try to give a brief history on how this hat came into creation. I’ve been needing to make my friend a really belated birthday and Christmas present. Knitting was/is my current craze and I suggested I make him something by knitting. I’ve made him other several presents that include a Carcassonne bag and bear fleece scarf, but that will be mentioned in a future post. So he suggested that I make him that hat in Scott Pilgrim Vol. 1.:
A snail hat. Here I was, with only a few months of knitting experience under my belt and my friend asking me to make a hat from scratch from a graphic novel. It didn’t seem difficult. I just couldn’t wrap my head around making it look like a snail shell part. I Googled up various snail hat patterns on the vast interwebs, but couldn’t find anything that looked similar to what I was looking for.
I then decided to just making a stocking cap and just roll it up to look like a snail shell. That seemed to be the easiest thing to do. As for color, I first thought of using red & purple as the Scott Pilgrim Avatar Generator showed the color of the hat to be. Then when trailers of the movie came out, I saw that Lulu Bee/Lugirl had made the hat brown and teal. I was amazed at first to see that the actual hat from the graphic novel was brought into creation for the movie and even more excited to have a real image of the hat to gauge what the pattern would look like.
The original hat done by Lulu Bee is actually not a full length stocking hat, but just a long and wide slouch type hat. I really can’t describe it any better, and there probably is a term for it, but I can’t think of it right now. I decided to stick with the hat being a stocking cap because Brian Lee O’Malley said he based the hat off a really long woolen hat that was rolled up.
So I made a long stocking cap with button to make the hat able to be rolled up and stay way to look like a snail shell. Well sorta.
J & Rorschach posing for me again!
Anyhoo, I also wrote up the pattern and uploaded it in pdf format for the world to have and to hold on Ravelry or just download it here. It’s the first pattern I’ve published. It wasn’t too difficult. Thanks to the awesomeness of open source and Open Office, they made creating a pdf from a odt doc beyond simple. You can also view more images of the hat there. So far the pattern has been made a “favorite” by 64 people and been added to 22 queues. It makes me happy to know that my pattern is doing fairly well.
So if you have made this hat from my pattern, please let me know. I would love to see how it came out and how well my instructions are. I also would love to see any revisions made.
Blog posts by https://rosaka.wordpress.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.